Saturday 24 November 2012

A week to go

It's now just  a week until we launch our new self-help group.

Did you know that there are approximately 6.4 million carers assisting sick, disabled or frailed people so that they can stay in their own homes? More than half of us will become carers at some stage during our lives.

For many of us, caring is just a part of life, looking after someone we love and probably someone who expended a lot of love and care looking after us when we were younger. It is a small wonder then, that half carers who provide substantial care actually take longer than two years to realise that they are a carer and begin to access support in some form.

This certainly happened to me. It was just a chance letter that my mother received that made me aware that there was help out there. I went along to my local Carers' Support Group (or Carers' Cafe as it was called) and the door was opened to a wealth of information that I would never have found on my own. It made a real difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment